Media Relations Officer
Want to become part of the DMZ team?
Job Title: Media Relations Officer, DMZ
Posted: December 19, 2013
Type of Opportunity: Full-time, Temporary Vacancy Notice
Start: February 2014
End: February 28, 2015
Department: University Advancement
Salary Scale: $66,390.53-$84,101.54
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
OPSEU employees will be considered before members of other employee groups. This is a temporary vacancy with a guarantee to return to home for OPSEU FTCE employees only.
To proactively present to the media the goals, objectives, vision, and accomplishments of Ryerson’s Digital Media Zone (DMZ) and the success stories of the DMZ entrepreneurs such that the image, reputation and innovation brand of the University are enhanced through the media. To communicate to external stakeholders in particular, primarily through the media, the image of Ryerson as an innovative, career-centered, and vibrant institution that has become a leader in the digital media economy through collaboration, incubation, experiential learning and unique public-private partnerships.
• Successful completion of a post-secondary degree program in Journalism, Communications or a similar discipline with a minimum of five (5) years related work experience liaising with media from national, regional and local news outlets, trade, technology, business, ethnic and other media to identify and maximize media opportunities based on current trends and industry news and handling critical communications issues. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Proven experience as a media spokesperson on both proactive and reactive issues handling critical communications issues under extreme pressure, communicating effectively at all levels of the organization and with stakeholder as well as acting as a media contact for the Digital Media Zone, promoting DMZ activities.
• Broad understanding of the importance and impact of communications relative to positioning the University in the media.
• Experience writing high-level to tight deadlines, and experience writing media plans.
• Understanding of the objectives of the national, regional and local news media.
• Proven project planning experience, working in a multi-disciplinary team, researching, writing and editing.
• A demonstrated commitment to client service, excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy are required to work effectively with staff, faculty, students and external contacts.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to research and write speeches, media releases, brochures, newsletters, flyers, electronic communications and web materials.
• Sound judgment and decision-making skills needed to balance communications goals, against other University objectives.
• Experience with database technology, word processing, desktop publishing and the Internet.
Candidates may be asked to demonstrate qualifications through an occupational test. Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
Application Deadline: Monday, January 6th, 2014
Apply: Click Here